Wednesday, March 12, 2014

More "PIN"spiration

I love Pinterest. While I'm not a power-user, I definitely use it for ideas and inspirations. For me, it's a book-marking device that's visual. If it's something I want to "collect" (so to speak), I pin it. Then I refer to it when the need arises.


A Pin of Civil Unrest by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene

I pinned yet another quilt that really, really, really piqued my interest. While I'm by and large a more modern/contemporary quilter, I have grown an appreciation for the past. And this quilt is definitely one of them. I abso-freaking-lutely LOVE this quilt. And I'm itching to make two of these. Yes, I'm crazy. I'd like to make one in civil war/traditional fabrics and the other one in more modern fabrics. I'd like to explore the dichotomy of styles and how it changes the dynamic of a quilt pattern just by mere fabric choice.

Yes, I know I'm a crazy woman...

Here's the book cover

I need a new project like I need a hole in my head... But this one is really, really talking to me. I love the busy-ness of the pattern. And the flying geese triangles (216). Lord knows I need help with that, so it would be a great learning experience. I think this would make good use of all my bright colorful FQs.

Whatcha think? Should I go modern or traditional first?

5 comments:

Brandie said...

I think you should try it in a modern look first. We know what it'll look like as a traditional quilt.
Go for it! It'll be lovely and bright!

Jeanna said...

Wow, you are one busy lady! That is a wonderful quilt. For perfect flying geese do them with paper piecing. Paper piecing definitely makes some things a lot simpler. Can't wait to see this one in progress!!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I'd jump into that traditional one...I really like it too. What is wrong with me? I typically steer away from the more traditional...perhaps I'm just getting older and my appreciation for older things is growing...giggles.

Kelly

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I am really loving modern these days, but I can't tell which way to go first. It is a beautiful pattern!

Joy said...

I love it! I am a pretty traditional quilter, in fact I love vintage fabrics. Just helped tie a vintage quilt with lots of pink and assorted prints...so I'd go with the traditional one but I think either will be beautiful!