Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Projects in Progress Wednesday -- Flying Geese


Today's task is playing with flying geese. I have an issue with flying geese. And I'm sure many of y'all have the very same issue. The curve. You know what I'm talking about. The curve on the block edges. Darn that bias! Despite how hard I try not to stretch the pieces, I still end up with that curve. Sigh.

Right now I'm playing with the Civil Unrest project in EQ7. While I have the pattern from the book, The Blue and the Gray, I want to learn the software and manipulate some of the design elements. I want to use this project as a learning tool for EQ7

I've had EQ7 for over a year and I haven't really taken the time to learn the software. Honestly, this is the first time I've really sat down with EQ7 for a purpose in mind. I'm amazed at how intuitive it is. Once I got a few tasks down (thinking in grids, drawing, and saving), I can zip around and draw away. As my comfort level increases, I'm sure I'll be using this more regularly. I've even gone as far as uploading some fabric swatches to play in full-color... wheeeee!



With EQ7 I have the ability to print foundation/paper-piecing patterns. So I'm exploring this method to mass-produce flying geese blocks and ditch the curve. I'm going to start with a string of geese and perhaps make a quick little doll quilt for my grandchild to get my practice in. For I know this method is as accurate as it gets.

I also have a set of new rulers on order from one of my local sources, I'll give those a try as well. When I get those in and play around, I'll let you know how they work. But for now, I'm going to get some practice in with the paper piecing part. I'll compare the two methods, and then decide which one to use and go from there.

So that's what is going on today. Just some puttering around. It's too yucky to go outside and I need some studio time to keep my brain busy. Plus, I want to avoid some housework and I'm not willing to get out of my "comfy clothes". Tee Hee!

2 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I use lots of starch when using pieces that are the bias. It helps a lot!

Joy said...

I expect paper piecing would help with that "curve" but I have never actually made Flying Geese - so I'll be interested to see your results.